Pellets and their (poisonous) ingredients

Last thread | Next thread >

Reply to topic  Post new topic
Parrot forum - parrot chatboard - Fluffies, your parrotforum! Chat about your parrots. > Parrot and parakeet food and diets

Author Thread
keison
Egg
Egg

So glad I found this!  Reply with quote  

Wow, glad I'm doing my homework. I'm in the process of getting Harrison's for when my baby gets to come home.

Thanks.
Post Wednesday December 6, 2006 10:20 pm
Karen
Just hatched
Just hatched

I have fed Harrison's from the start. Rhoda, who raises baby birds & sells them highly recomends Harrison's. I see I am really lucky. I can drive about 20 miles to Rhoda's and pay $22 plus 7 % sales tax for 5 pounds adult lifetime coarse.

I have ordered it on line for about 27 for 5 pounds and 8 dollars & change for shipping.

I am unhappy to read about chemicals & artificial ingredients. I just bought avicakes.

It really is scary. All of the dog & cat foods recalled. I wondered if any bird pellets might contain wheat gluten.

My cat Clarence had urinary tract cystitis in Dec and had surgery in Jan.
Clarence has no genitals at all now. The emergency vet put him on Science diet canned. It is one of the recalled foods that cause kidney failure. Poor Clarence already had minor kidney function problems. I spent $3000 in total on Clarence & Tommy-cat
in Dec/Jan. The vet thought post-op and on a special diet the kidney functions could resolve themselves.

I found Clarence broken, bleeding, trying to drag his useless rear end through the snow Dec 2005. He had a severely twisted & broken pelvis, missing toe, broken teeth, and loss of an ear tip. he is the sweetest most affectionate cat. No one looked for him. He runs funny, but i am so glad he can run. Sorry I got off topic.

The food thing is really scary!!!!! I love all my babies!!!! 1 dog, 10 cats, & 2 amazons. my house is full.
Post Friday April 13, 2007 3:24 am
Sue

Boy, you're really lucky. I'd wish the pellets were that cheap in the Netherlands!

I am unhappy to read about chemicals & artificial ingredients. I just bought avicakes.

WHat happened to Clarence when he had a twisted & broken pelvis?!
Post Saturday April 14, 2007 7:34 pm
Karen
Just hatched
Just hatched

Poor Clarence. He had apparently been hit by a car Dec.'05. I knew he would not last long seriously injured & bleeding in the snow. I was a mail carrier. I took off my coat & placed the liner in a mail tub. I picked the kitty up with my coat & stuffed him into the tub.

When I returned to the post office I brought the cat in first. It was very cold outside. Lynn, a co-worker saw him while I was putting my things away,
clearing accountables & dispatching outgoing mail. She hollared, "Karen!"
I replied, "What makes you think it was me? It could have been anybody."
"Yeah, Right" I have lost count of the # of animals rescued from my routes over 20 years.

We went to the only vet office open. Xrays showed the injured pelvis. Vet said he may possibly not be able to eliminate solids as the passageway is so narrow. On antibiotis, & pain med & laxatives. Poor cat in severe pain. Frightened. He did not eat or drink for 8 days. I force fed water and nurtical. Just a little bit but often. His 1st bowel movement was 2 weeks after his accident. He worked so very hard to get himself from the soft cat bed into the litter box that 1st day. He hollared in pain. And he missed the box. I was amazed he tried to get into the box!!!!!

His recovery was slow & painful. He was estimated to be 1 to 3 years of age. He was neutered. He is the most affectionate cat I have ever known. He climbs onto my shoulder, rubs his face in mine & purrs. I can not believe NO ONE LOOKED FOR HIM.
I named him Clarence for the angel in the Christmas movie, "It's A Wonderful Life" He surely had earned his wings!

December is apparently not his best month. Dec '06 he had a urinary tract infection, cystitus and his urinary tract kept blocking. He was in & out of vet hospitals catherized 4 different times. I had to learn to give him fluids subcutaneously. He wore a morphine patch. Finally he had the surgery amputing the last inch of the urethra and penis. The urethra was sewn to an opening made under the tail. The bladder was moved forward & stitched into place. Another tough ordeal! Another long recovery stuck in an elizabethan collar. So many stitches! It took a second surgical procedure to remove all of the extensive stitching.

I had to have my beloved Witten cat put down Oct 27 '06 and Mia in June "06. I could not bear to lose Clarence.

Witt was a couple days old in Aug '98. Abandoned by ferral mom. Her eyes were severely infected. They ruptured internally. She lost them & had empty eye sockets. We went through her blindness, severe allergies causing her to dig her self open, testing, skin scrapings, biopsies, a broken hip, spay surgery, surgery to remove rear claws so she could not dig herself open leading to infection. Prednisone for itch. Finally a change in diet stopped the itching. In March '06 she was in severe respiratory distress. To emergency vet. Expensive tests. Cardio-pulmonary disease. I was able to keep her comfortable through October. She was my special baby. Fit in the palm of my hand. 20 pounds as an adult cat.

I love animals & hate to see them abused, neglected or suffering. Half my cats are bottle fed babies. I should have been a vet instead of a mailman.
Post Sunday April 15, 2007 12:30 am
jletaz
Experienced flier

Roudybush no longer contains Ethoxyquin, and hasn't for some time now. Smile It is still considered one of the better quality pellets out there. They are cold pressed, not extruded in terms of how they are made, and this process is said to keep more nutrients in, instead of them getting cooked out.

Julie
Post Sunday April 15, 2007 3:45 am
fadedrose
Egg
Egg

Questions about Harrison's  Reply with quote  

I am a newbie...I will be getting my Rosella in a few weeks and I am trying to prepare for her. I honestly don't know what she is eating now, but she is 3 years old and I want to get her the best. I've looked it up and found the Harrisons, but I have a few questions. Which kind should I get her? It says if your starting off on Harrison's or young to get the more expensive kind. Is this true? And what size pellet should I start her off on? It says for birds that use their feet to try the larger ones but I'm worried they will be too big. Should I try these and crush them if I need to or break them? Also, does anyone use these kinds of food? I can get them locally without having to order $50 worth of stuff not to have to pay double the price for shipping on Harrisons.... the more I look into things the more lost I get!!! Here are the foods...
Vitakraft Premium Menu Daily Food For Parrots
8 in 1 Ecotrition Essential Blend for Parrots

Thanks a million for whatever help I can get!!!!
~Amanda
Post Sunday April 22, 2007 7:29 am
shirin

Re: Questions about Harrison's  Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by fadedrose
I am a newbie...I will be getting my Rosella in a few weeks and I am trying to prepare for her. I honestly don't know what she is eating now, but she is 3 years old and I want to get her the best. I've looked it up and found the Harrisons, but I have a few questions. Which kind should I get her? It says if your starting off on Harrison's or young to get the more expensive kind. Is this true? And what size pellet should I start her off on? It says for birds that use their feet to try the larger ones but I'm worried they will be too big. Should I try these and crush them if I need to or break them? Also, does anyone use these kinds of food? I can get them locally without having to order $50 worth of stuff not to have to pay double the price for shipping on Harrisons.... the more I look into things the more lost I get!!! Here are the foods...
Vitakraft Premium Menu Daily Food For Parrots
8 in 1 Ecotrition Essential Blend for Parrots

Thanks a million for whatever help I can get!!!!
~Amanda

Hi Amanda, welcome to fluffies Very Happy

I feed my parrots Harrison's High Potency Course, but I crush them so there's less waste, cuz parrots have a tendancy to take a couple of bites and then throw the rest on the ground and start on a new pellet Razz This is the site that I order my food from, it's the cheapest price I've found, and the customer service is great http://www.birdsafestore.com/S.....egoryID=46 But I see you live in Tenessee, so you can buy them localy. Harrison's is only sold at vet's clinics, here's the listing for the clinics in your area that carry it http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/states/TENN.htm

I can attest that the food does do what it claims, after I switched my parrots over to harrison's their feather quality and colour completely improved. Also My African Grey used to chew off her tail feathers before and when she went on Harrison's she stopped.

I've never tried those other brands you mentioned, so I can't be much help there Smile
Post Sunday April 22, 2007 1:23 pm
fadedrose
Egg
Egg

Thanks!  Reply with quote  

Someone told me not to switch her food....that she would be too picky to switch to something new. This wasn't the previous owner of my bird, so I don't know if she's right or not. Did you have any problems getting your birds to eat the Harrison's?
Post Sunday April 22, 2007 5:54 pm
Sue

Re: Thanks!  Reply with quote  

quote:
Someone told me not to switch her food....that she would be too picky to switch to something new. This wasn't the previous owner of my bird, so I don't know if she's right or not. Did you have any problems getting your birds to eat the Harrison's?

No no problem at all.. Scuttle was very easy, and Iago as well. Wheezy was a little harder and so was Zazu..
Post Sunday April 22, 2007 6:33 pm
shirin

Re: Thanks!  Reply with quote  

quote:

I didn't have any problems switching my African Grey over, but my lovebirds were a little bit more fussy, and the conversion took longer. Yes, birds can be picky eaters, but this shouldn't deter you from wanting to improving her diet and health. I'm not saying you have to feed this particular brand, but just in general you should work with your parrot to get it to try and accept new foods, even if it is a picky eater Smile

If you do try to convert her to a new food, we can all give you helpful hints on how to make the conversion easier and faster.
Post Sunday April 22, 2007 7:15 pm
jletaz
Experienced flier

Regarding the size of Harrison's pellets... I'd use 'fine' for sure for a Rosella. The 'coarse' is much to big. I even have used the fine size for up to an Amazon parrot. The reason is, there is less waste with smaller pieces. Parrots drop a lot of their food... If they keep dropping all the coarse pellets, there would soon be nothing left in the bowl! Surprised Personally, unless you have a larger bird who loves to primarily eat with it's feet, I'd give fine to any size under a Macaw. The coarse chunks are very big. The recommended is to start with the High Potency, but you can just start with the Maintenance diet too. That part is not a big deal. Smile

Julie
Post Sunday April 22, 2007 7:53 pm
fadedrose
Egg
Egg

I love this forum!!  Reply with quote  

Everyone here is great!! Thanks so much!!
Post Sunday April 22, 2007 8:50 pm
sveta
Flutterer

OH NO Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
My little conure LOVES avi cakes and my budgie's whole diet consists of nitrriberries!!!!
My avian vet recommended them to me, she said to scarcly give avi-cakes only a a very special teat, and the nutrriberries where made only about a week before I purchase them so I think they are safe. But if they ae not I am definatly moving onto Harrisons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Friday June 8, 2007 7:06 pm
shirin

quote:
Originally posted by sveta
OH NO Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
My little conure LOVES avi cakes and my budgie's whole diet consists of nitrriberries!!!!
My avian vet recommended them to me, she said to scarcly give avi-cakes only a a very special teat, and the nutrriberries where made only about a week before I purchase them so I think they are safe. But if they ae not I am definatly moving onto Harrisons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nutriberries definitely should not be the main diet of any bird, it's basically junk food, full of sugars, artificial colours and preservatives. You should definitely do more research on what is an appropriate diet for parrots.
Post Friday June 8, 2007 8:15 pm
sveta
Flutterer

Well I'm 12 so when we where at the vet's office I wanted to switch to harrisons but my budgie was graded PERFECTLY healthy buy the vet siply laking a bit of vitamin. We where given nuttrriberries and avicake samples (and harrisons) my bird hated harrisons but liked nutrriberries and avicakes, like I said avicakes are a very special treat. For BOTH conure and budgie. What is writen above is about the budgie(Cookie) Sad Sad
Post Sunday June 10, 2007 4:33 pm

Reply to topic  Post new topic