shaking head

Last thread | Next thread >

Reply to topic  Post new topic
Parrot forum - parrot chatboard - Fluffies, your parrotforum! Chat about your parrots. > Quaker chat forum (monk parakeet)

Author Thread
azdove8
Egg
Egg

shaking head  Reply with quote  

I just brought my new baby quaker home last weekend and even while I would visit him at the pet store and more so at home here I noticed that he shakes his head all the time....is this normal?
Post Wednesday August 10, 2005 10:24 pm
shirin

Smile does he bob his head like he's regurgitating or vomiting, or does he shake his whole body? Because if it's the whole body, it's normal, thats why they're called quakers, because they quake Very Happy
Post Thursday August 11, 2005 12:01 am
Cheeta

That sounds so very cute!!! I didn't realised that's why they are called quaker!! I often wondered why that was... and now I know!! Smile hehehe, cheers Shirin. Smile
Post Thursday August 11, 2005 5:00 am
Sue

Re: shaking head  Reply with quote  

Hi azdove8,

welcome aboard! Smile I hope you'll like it here.. Smile

I don't know about the shaking with the head, what do you mean with that? Could you give a more precise description? Smile

By the way, have you seen that you can also make your own homepage & diary for your bird?
Please follow the link below to find out how!
http://www.fluffies.org/en/viewforum.php?f=32

Have fun here!
Post Thursday August 11, 2005 10:52 am
shirin

quote:
Originally posted by Cheeta
That sounds so very cute!!! I didn't realised that's why they are called quaker!! I often wondered why that was... and now I know!! Smile hehehe, cheers Shirin. Smile

Yeah, as I told you guys, there was 6 baby quakers at the petstore, and they were always quaking Very Happy it's the cutest thing! (that's if azdove8 is talking about the same body movement as I am)
Post Thursday August 11, 2005 2:55 pm
Tia
Fledgeling

Hi azdove
It is normal at least for my Emmie! Very Happy She has been doing that forever, she esp does it when I give her some quiet time.....I take it as her total bliss moments.
Post Thursday August 11, 2005 4:31 pm
azdove8
Egg
Egg

I am aware of the whole body shaking of being normal which I'm not sure if he has even done that....is it more like a shiver that you really can't see? The shaking is more like a fast shake of just the head kind of like what we might do to get something out of our hair is the best way that I can describe it....like he's trying to get something off his head.....
Post Thursday August 11, 2005 4:49 pm
shirin

Oh, so he's shaking his head sideways? Confused Sorry, I don't know if that's normal. Could he have something stuck in his ear? Do you notice him scratching excessively? By the way, is your baby weaned or still being handfed?
Post Thursday August 11, 2005 4:55 pm
azdove8
Egg
Egg

Yes, it's more of side to side but at a fast pace. I don't believe he has anything in his ear...wouldn't know if I'd be able to tell that anyway...And no, he doesn't scratch at all, so I suppose if he did have something in his ear I would notice that ....And yes, he is weaned...eats all the time in fact. I love him so much! He is so so sweet. We also have 4 7 week old puppies here and it's so much fun to watch them with him...
Post Thursday August 11, 2005 5:07 pm
shirin

oh that's so cute! a baby bird and Puppies!! By the way, I just realized I didn't welcome you to the forum Embarassed Welcome here! I hope you stick around and tell us more about your fid and your Puppies too, and we would love it if you could share some pictures with us too Very Happy

Sorry, I can't really help you with the head thing, maybe others have a better idea of what it could be.. but if it's really worrying you, maybe you could call your avian vet and ask him/her if this is something you should be concerned about? I hope it's nothing.

Once again welcome and I hope you enjoy your time on this forum Very Happy
Post Thursday August 11, 2005 5:16 pm
azdove8
Egg
Egg

Very Happy Thanks
Post Thursday August 11, 2005 5:41 pm
Tia
Fledgeling

Azdove
I didn't realize you were form Az?! I used to live there still have family there. what area are you at? How are you managing to stay cool with all the heat!

Tia
Post Saturday August 13, 2005 8:03 pm
azdove8
Egg
Egg

I live in the Peoria area. It's not easy staying cool...but just got back from Payson today...that helps!
Post Monday August 15, 2005 3:03 am

Reply to topic  Post new topic